My list of ways to be creative and inspired, even though your job is not.
1. Don’t let your job overtake your whole life (easier said than done, and I'm afraid I failed at this rather spectacularly in my last job, but I'm trying to learn!). The idea is that you get home and feel energized enough to make stuff/write/read or whatever.
2. Don’t be seduced by the telly! Also easier said than done!
3. Start a blog! It makes it way easier to resist the telly and actually make stuff. I have my public to think of now! I started my blog to motivate myself to be more creative and articulate my ramblings, but I really surprised myself in how much I’ve enjoyed actually writing.
4. Wear exciting shoes, like these ones from office (I’m going to buy them in three colours!)
5. Use lunch time to write blogs, or browse Etsy, or the other zillions of creative sites out there
6. Start an arts and crafts lunch in the office! There is a revival of interest in arts and crafts, especially as we’re in a recession. I was certainly surprised when so many people showed interest at my office.
7. Go to galleries at the weekend and/or spend time making stuff.
8. Start a sewing (or other crafts) club with friends. I now have 2! The idea is to get together and share what little sewing knowledge you have, and help each other to bumble along with projects. Its fun and free! Always include wine.
9. Find ways of making small work things more creative. i.e, I always suggest getting a good designer to do our booklets, or to get funny video’s made to help promote an idea.
10. Avoid the free papers! Not only do they pollute the planet and make London look messy (euch) I believe they pollute your mind! I try to read books that are beautifully written, that really get your imagination working overtime (I just read Half a Yellow Sun, by Adiche- so well written. Murakami is also amazing for inspiration. Norwegian Wood is my favourite book of all time )
11. Make your home somewhere colourful and creative and inspirational! I have a very specific flea market style which isn't for everyone, but whatever your style I think its nice to feel inspired at home.
12. Wear colourful undies, even if you have to wear boring black office crap for a meeting. That way, you can enjoy a burst of bright colour, even whilst you’re on the loo!
13. Enjoy little, everyday beautiful things, like blossom. I love blossom so much that my mister often sends me photos of it at work because he knows it brightens my day! He sent me this on Friday.
Listening to Caught Wheel, by Your Twenties. So summery and boppy. When will they release an album?! http://www.myspace.com/yourtwenties
:: The Secret Of My Success
12 minutes ago